We are always trying to enlarge our knowledge horizon and introduce our listeners to as many new use cases of data and analytics as possible.
In this vein, we have an ardent researcher Fahd Saghir with us to take us on a journey of exploration into the world of energy and resources industry and how data analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and Internet of things (IoT) are revolutionising the upstream oil and gas industry.
Fahd is the Digital Solutions Manager at Schneider Electric, a global specialist in energy management and automation with operations in more than 100 countries. The company had a revenue of 27.2 billion EUR in 2019.
As a Digital Solutions Manager, Fahd manages the IoT and Edge Analytics portfolio of Schneider Electric’s Process Automation business unit. Before becoming the Digital Solutions Manager, Fahd was Industry Solutions Manager and Global Solutions Consultant at Schneider Electric. He has over 15 years of experience in designing and developing digital solutions for the industry.
With a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Fahd is a passionate researcher in applying Machine Learning in Petroleum Engineering. He is also pursuing a PhD degree focused on the application of Machine Learning methods to optimize the performance of critical assets used by natural gas operators.
In this episode, Fahd explains the use of data science, edge analytics, and other latest technological advancements in the oil and gas industry with super lucid terms and examples. Most importantly, you get a crystal clear view of how your industry can also utilise these highly influential technologies.
Fahd also shares about the industrial internet of things (IIOT) and how coupled with edge analytics it’s revolutionizing the upstream oil and gas industry. The use of edge analytics is important in particular because it is collecting and processing the data on the site before sending the data to the cloud.
Apart from that, here are a few of other gold nuggets that Fahd shared:
- Concept of digital or intelligent oil fields.
- Importance of combining domain knowledge with data analytics. In Fahd’s case, Electric Engineering with data analytics, ML, and AI in the arena of petroleum engineering.
- A real-life case study of data and ML in action in the oil & gas sector.
- How the adaptation of technology has progressed over time in the industry – a historical outlook with practical insights from Fahd.
- The latest technological advancements in the industry – machine vision, augmented reality, augmented intelligence.
- The evolution from supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) to IIOT.
- How the use of edge analytics has impacted the customers.
- How this emerging technology is being or can be adapted to various other industries.
- How it can impact cost, value, time, and accelerate decision making.
- How technological adaptation has been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
More links about the guest
Chairman of the Digital Solutions Sub-Committee
What is one book that he would gift to his younger self:
- Outliers – The Story of Success
Have a question for Fahd and Jason? Leave your voice message here at: https://anchor.fm/analyticsshow/message