Mark Monfort is an ardent advocate for data and analytics. He is very passionate about helping businesses make better decisions with the help of data science. He has over 10 years of professional experience working with data.
Currently, Mark is working as the Client Partner at Decision Inc., a global leader in information-driven transformation with a core focus on data, digital and performance intelligence. Apart from that, he is also leading the not for profit organisation Data Science and AI Association of Australia (DSAi) as their Co-Head. Mark took on these two roles after completing a successful tenure as the Head of Data Analytics and Technology at Prosperity Advisers Group. As the name suggests, Prosperity Advisers Group is a company helping businesses become more prosperous with accounting, investment and wealth management services.
Mark’s professional career began at PwC, one of the Big 4 firms, where he served as an auditor and accountant. Then he moved on as a business analyst into insurance banking at Commonwealth Bank. The hands-on experience with data-driven business analytics there infused in him the passion for data that would eventually drive his next course in career.
Since then, he has served in multiple consultancy and business development roles. But no matter what the role is, Mark’s main focus has always been adopting a data-first approach to doing the job. For the last six years, Mark has been working on data-driven solutions and disruptive technologies exclusively for the financial services sector.
So, he provides a unique blend of financial knowledge and technological expertise. Both immensely valuable in today’s world.
Mark regularly writes on data analytics and related topics on his own blog, LinkedIn, and Medium. He also occasionally appears on TV shows and podcasts talking about data.
This episode is really a gold mine for small and mid-sized business owners who are either looking to or already have started on their enterprise data journey.
Mark discusses and shares a lot about the ways to start and progress on the journey in the most viable, risk-free and cost-efficient manner.
Here are some of the pointers discussed:
- Start small with a minimum viable project (MVP) and then gradually move ahead incrementally.
- The formula is – MVP, reiterate and increment.
- Why the times of change, like the one the world is going through right now, is one of the best times to get started with new technologies.
- Starting with data doesn’t necessarily have to be costly. There are lots of free resources out there that you can utilize.
- Mark also shares some of the strategies that you can adopt to start with the free resources.
- How you should take help from consultants and experts.
- What are the considerations that you should keep in mind while choosing a tech partner.
- Some general guidelines and tips on building your data solutions, whether in-house or with industry partners.
So, this is definitely the episode that you should not miss if you are an SMB looking for a cost-effective and risk-free way into the world of business analytics.
More links about the guest
What is one book that he would gift to his younger self:
- Principles: Life and Work
Interview and podcast:
In the News:
- 5th Annual Investment Data & Technology Summit
- NSW Small Business Month