Technologist, marketer, entrepreneur, educator, blogger, and many more.
It’s Kate Carruthers we are talking about. The power woman who wears many powerful hats with ease and expertise.
Kate is Chief Data & Insights Officer for UNSW Sydney and is also an Adjunct Senior Lecturer in the School of Computer Science & Engineering at the university.
She has been working in the field of ICT and data science for over 25 years. Her contributions have enlightened companies and organisations of the likes of Citibank, General Electric, AMP, Westfield (now Scentre Group), and NSW Treasury.
She also helps numerous associations and organisations with her time-tested knowledge and expertise. Kate is a Board Member at Data Analytics Centre Advisory Board of NSW Department of Finance, Services and Innovation, an advisor to the Microsoft Regional Director Program, and an Advisory Board Member at the UNSW City Futures Research Centre. She was also a member of the Telstra Industry Advisory Board.
She has co-founded several startups including two Internet of Things (IoT) startups Moorescloud and IoTM.
She has recently been named in the CDO Magazine’s 2020 List of Global Data Power Women and was included among the Global Top 100 Data Visionaries.
Most recently, Kate has started her very own podcast to facilitate a space where working women can come together and discuss issues of progress.
In this episode, Kate sheds light on multiple important aspects related to data governance and adoption of technology in the higher education industry.
Here are a few points to keep your focus on:
- How the universities are adopting technological shifts to weather the impact of the pandemic.
- How the new technological adaptations are helping student experience and success.
- Is the data that’s coming in from the increased use of technology helping the process?
- The importance of data governance for any kind of organisation.
- 5 questions to ask yourself while building your data governance program.
- How the higher education industry has been progressing in terms using data and analytics.
- Kate also shares with us her views on how students and professionals should prepare themselves for the future job market.
So, if you want to improve your data governance policies and practice, this episode is the one you shouldn’t miss.
More links about the guest
What is one book that she would gift to her younger self:
- The Mythical Man-Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
In the News: