Tim Johnson is a veteran professional in the insurance industry. He has been working at Suncorp in various roles and scopes since 2005. He began his journey at Suncorp as a Manager Claims Design and now, multiple roles later, he is the Head of Automation.
Suncorp Group Limited is a top 50 ASX-listed company with over 9.5 million customers and 13,000 employees. The Suncorp Group offers insurance, banking and wealth products and services through some of Australia and New Zealand’s most recognised financial brands.
At Suncorp, Tim is one of the pioneers of the automation capability for Suncorp building the Insurance capability during his time leading the shared service operations team. He also performed as a CFO Insurance to support a leadership transition. Over the last decade of running Operations, Tim has led large on and offshore teams with the aim of driving improved customer experience and cost outcomes for Suncorp. Intelligent Automation was a logical next step to continue this push for faster, simpler delivery to Suncorp’s customers.
Prior to joining Suncorp, Tim spent over 14 years as an Army Officer and a few years consulting across a wide variety of industries.
In this exclusive interview, Tim Johnson shares with us about a lot of developments in the use of automation and AI in the insurance and financial industry. He also motivates the industry participants to come forward in the journey of implementing these emerging technologies in their business.
Here are a few major aspects discussed:
- The potential of AI incubators in furthering the large-scale implementation of AI and automation throughout Australia.
- How the corporation and government can benefit from these incubators.
- Various examples and use-cases of intelligent automation in the insurance industry, such as zero-touch claims processing using IBM Watson and applying computer vision.
- The importance of taking a human-machine approach while designing and implementing AI solutions.
- The challenges Tim faced while using automation in insurance and how to overcome the challenges.
- How to combine analytics, automation, and AI to get the next stage of digital transformation.
- What should be the approach to incorporating AI and automation into your business and for finding the appropriate business cases to target?
- How all of this should be guided by a customer-centric approach and philosophy.
Above all, what Tim wants us to know that starting on the journey of AI and automation doesn’t have to be expensive and time-consuming. You can start quickly with a minimum viable project and then scale-up from there. What really matters is to start!
So, if you are thinking about using AI and automation for your business processes, especially in the insurance and the financial industry, this is the episode you should definitely lend an ear to!
More links about the guest
In the News: