Bryce Shephard is the Head of Strategy, Life and Health APAC at PartneRe (NYSE: PRE-H), a global reinsurer providing multi-line reinsurance to insurance companies with a total capital of over $9 billion USD.
His responsibilities include developing and growing PartnerRe in the Asia-Pacific region and researching and creating the market and client strategies aligning with the company’s risk tolerance and financial ambitions.
He has been working in the field of pricing and product development for over 15 years specialising in the insurance industry.
Starting as an Actuarial Analyst at Suncorp, Bryce has evolved through various pricing, business development and strategy roles across Australia, Europe, and Asia. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries (FIA), the highest level of qualification attainable with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA).
Bryce also has a passion for continuous learning having just completed his master’s in business management with a thesis — “An exploration of Organisational Effectiveness – A Life Insurance Industry Study”.
Through his research, Bryce wants to shine a light on how Life (Re)Insurance organisations are influenced by innovation, culture, leadership, knowledge management, and distributed teams. Based on these research findings, he crafts ways to increase company effectiveness for the benefit of their employees, shareholders, and ultimately customers.
He is also working on underwriting customer segments using alternative/proxy risk factors that eliminate the need for traditional risk scoring and lengthy statistical analysis. Also, it enables a simplified and seamless digital application process for insurance customers.
In this exclusive episode, Bryce and Jason discuss:
- How actuaries have been using data analytics for centuries before data science became the sexiest job in the world.
- How professionals in the insurance industry can upskill into the field of emerging technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Real-life applications of these technologies in the insurance and reinsurance industries.
- How insurers are using data analytics and techniques of data collection to better serve their customers.
- Role of the reinsurer in the insurance industry.
- How PartnerRe is developing digital technologies.
- Why and how the dynamics between insurer and reinsurer are blurring and changing due to the increased use of data technologies.
- Bryce also shares with us deeper details from his thesis findings on HR, people analytics, hiring, and team development.
- Evolution of the use of data in insurance – from static to dynamic underwriting.
- Place and advantage of being a reinsurer – global data availability, experience, and insights.
- What is pre-underwriting and how data analytics enables the practice of pre-underwriting.
- Also, how pre-underwriting benefits insurers and customers.
If you want to know how data works in the insurer and reinsurer, this is the episode you should not miss.
More links about the guest
What is one book he would gift to his younger self:
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio