Maurice Liu is the Head of Product and Analytics at TUH Health Fund. He is also a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
TUH Health Fund was established in 1972 by a group of teachers wanting better health insurance. And, while they now protect the health of Australians from various industries, their approach is the same. They believe in fairness and treat everyone as an individual, not a number. TUH is a not-for-profit organisation and 100% owned by its members, not shareholders.
Maurice joined the TUH as an Analytics Manager in 2015 and became the head of product and analytics in 2019. He is responsible for the underwriting of health insurance services and providing strategic guidance through things like the recent health insurance industry reforms and the COVID-19 pandemic.
He has been working in the statistical and financial analysis sector for more than 14 years. Before joining TUH, Maurice worked at Westpac, Aussie, ASX, and others. He also worked as a Lecturer at the University of Technology Sydney for two years.
In this episode, Maurice explains in great details the private health industry in Australia and how data and analytics are being used in the industry.
- Similarities and differences among consumer product design, industrial product design, and insurance product design.
- Problems solving mandate and customer-centricity in product designing.
- System and nature of the business for private health insurers in Australia.
- How data science is used in the private health insurance industry.
- How data and analytics help in streamlining features and anti-features via Kano analysis.
- The use of data analytics is fraud and leakage reduction.
- The place of competitor analytics, community rating systems, and stress testing in insurance pricing.
- Using analytics keeping the legal, social, and other business constraints in mind.
- How you can optimize your products and business even under operating under all these constraints.
If you are one of the professionals working in one of these industries where there are lots of constraints, then this is the episode for you to know how you can use data analytics for constraint optimisation.
More links about the guest
What is one book that he would gift to his younger self:
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald