Shantha Mohan is an Executive In Residence (EIR) at Carnegie Mellon University – Integrated Innovation Institute, Silicon Valley.
Shantha has over 36 years of experience in software development and engineering, product development, data science, entrepreneurship, and building and leading large tech teams.
In her current role as EIR at the Integrated Innovation Institute at Carnegie Mellon, she co-delivers courses, contributes to curriculum design, and mentors students in their projects and practicums.
Shantha is also a Co-founder & Chief Development Officer of Retail Solutions Inc. RSi is the world’s leading technology company enabling CPG manufacturers and retailers to optimize their market position and drive greater profitability – from supply chain to shelf.
At RSI, she ran Product Development and was responsible for scaling the product development team across the world and delivering multiple applications. Her worldwide product development team built the products & services which made the company the leader in Retail Analytics used by top Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) companies and retailers.
Previously, Shantha worked in various leadership roles at Applied Materials, the leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world.
Shantha has a PhD in Operations Management from Carnegie Mellon University. She is also the author of Roots and Wings: Inspiring Stories of Indian Women in Engineering.
In this exclusive episode, Shanta shares some pearls of wisdom from the extensive experience she has in business and academia.
- Difference between teaching and leading teams from her experience.
- How her team developed a data analytics solution to identity out of stock products.
- Value of combining the three elements of design, development and product management into one philosophy.
- How can we encourage more women to join engineering and tech?
- Reasons behind lower female participation in the workforce, both in the east and the west.
- Projects her students are working on involving data lakes, AI, ML, data quality assessment tools, and data governance.
- What mistakes companies are making in data governance.
- Tools you can use for strengthening data governance in your organisation—data catalogue, data discovery, data observability, data lineage, and data security.
- When to prioritise what when it comes to maintaining data governance and creating an MVP as fast as possible?
- Importance of letting the users know about the product limitations.
- Why products are never finished and when to move on.
- Product development and management for data solutions.
- Importance of UI/UX for data solutions and data pipelines.
If you are working on anything associated with data analytics and data science, this is the episode you shouldn’t miss. There’s something for everyone in this episode.
Also, share this episode with your peers and friends in the industry who might benefit from the deep expertise and wisdom of Shanta Mohan!
More links about the guest
What is one book that she would gift to her younger self:
- Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman