Andy Sutton is the Head of Data & Personalisation at Endeavour Drinks Group (ASX:EDV).
Endeavour Drinks is the largest liquor retailer in Australia under the BWS, Dan Murphy’s, Cellarnasters, and Langtons brands.
Andy is currently working on setting the data and personalisation vision and strategy for Endeavour Drinks. He has over 20 years of experience in working with data insights, campaign optimisation and personalisation, and marketing strategy development.
Andy is passionate about communicating the importance of data throughout the organisation so that all the teams are active in utilising data tools for improving customer experience. He operates on the sweet spot where data, technology and marketing meet.
Translating business problems into analysis problems is one of his core skills along with personalisation and optimisation using data science.
Before Endeavour Group, Andy worked in various leadership roles at Legal & General, Lloyds Banking Group, and Woolworths Supermarkets.
At Woolworths Supermarkets, Andy led the delivery of a liquor personalisation engine that delivers a significant amount of incremental sales per year. He also led the optimisation of a world-class personalisation engine that delivers personalised content for 10 million rewards customers across food, liquor and general merchandise lines.
In this episode, Andy shares all about how he has been working and achieving with the personalisation engine and how you can also do the same.
- How Andy and his company embarked on the personalization journey.
- The story of how an email from the unimpressed CEO after being unnecessarily down sold started all that.
- The initial humble beginnings and how Andy and the team started small to prove their success.
- How personalization works for email marketing and the anatomy of a highly personalized and successful email campaign.
- What are the personalization details that make an email into a great email?
- The testing machine that Andy has to continuously try and test out different versions and combinations for fine-tuning everything even up to the tone used.
- How Andy grew his team and has been expanding into other areas of personalization,
- The importance of personalization for the mobile phone app is his next frontier.
- How mobile apps are different in that users are always logged in, contrary to the web when the majority of users are browsing without logging in.
- How to take personalization to the offline world.
- Challenges and possibilities of personalization in offline stores
- How effective personalization can produce a wonderful in-store experience
- Advice to follow and roadblocks to be aware of while creating a personalization engine for your business.
If you’re a senior leader who has been pondering about personalisation and wants to utilize omnichannel personalization tools and strategies to enhance the customer experience this is the episode you do not want to miss out on!
More links about the guest
What is one book that he would gift to his younger self:
- The Resilience Project by Hugh van Cuylenburg
In the News:
Related episodes to learn more:
- E63 – Ben Nichols – Improving Customer Experience with Natural Language Processing in Banking
- E60 – Albane Flamant – Data Analytics in Social Listening & Consumer Insights to Drive Revenue
- E58 – Shantha Mohan – A Founder’s Perspective in Building an Analytics Solution Using Data Governance & Product Development
- E56 – Michel Tricot – Commoditized Data Integration and What It Means for You