“What’s happened?” my wife asks me as I walk in the door, home late from work another day.
I’m too embarrassed and upset to say that I just lost the company a truckload of money. Instead, I force a smile, lie about heavy traffic, and go to bed early. I know it was my fault. I made the wrong decision – again – and the company was suffering because of it.
I recall a time long ago when someone told me to pay more attention to data, saying that, one day, it would rule the world. I’d need it more than it needs me. Without it and a good CFO by my side, I’ll be making bad decisions every step of the way.
And, damn, he was right. But how do they do it?
Luckily, Jyoti Lahiri – a senior executive with international business experience spanning over 30 years, with leadership roles in many geographies – has an answer.
Jyoti Lahiri has served in various industries, including a significant period in the tech sector and held senior leadership positions in multinational companies in the Asia Pacific, Caribbean & Latin America and the USA.
Currently, Jyoti is Sydney-based and is the Chief Financial Officer – Asia Pacific Region of Landis & Gyr (Landis + Gyr), a Zurich-listed MNC. He also serves as Director on the Board of the company’s subsidiaries in Australia, New Zealand, China, India, Singapore and Hong Kong.
Landis & Gyr is a world leader in advanced smart metering solutions for utilities and is listed on the Zurich stock exchange. For more than a century, Landis+Gyr has helped the world manage energy better. The meters and solutions from the company empower utilities and end-customers around the world to improve their energy efficiency, reduce their energy costs and contribute to sustainable use of resources. The company employs a headcount of 1,100 across the Asia Pacific region
Before Landis & Gyr, Jyoti worked for Lucent Technologies for a decade, where his last role was Chief Financial Officer- South East Asia, based in Singapore.
Jyoti is a Chartered Accountant and Cost & Management Accountant. He is also a Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a Fellow of the Institute of Directors, India.
This exclusive episode starts with Jyoti sharing his volunteering experience at Kushal India and how he got involved there. Then, the episode moves through the following topics:
- Jyoti shares about Landis & Gyr and the works that they do here.
- The smart meters and solutions from the company that empowers utility companies and customers.
- How the solutions improve energy efficiency, reduce cost, and contribute to sustainable use of resources.
- How this plays a role in building smart cities around the world.
- Jyoti’s view on capital allocation for the development of the digital infrastructure.
- Combining the historical data and new data in the business.
- Appropriate access control of data and how the heads of the different countries can learn from the collective knowledge and wisdom of each other.
- Role of an MNC CFO and how it is more demanding than before.
- What are the different roles that a CFO can play that are beyond the accounting works that they are traditionally involved in?
If you are a senior executive operating in a single jurisdiction and want to know more about CFOs whose responsibility ranges across multiple countries and regions, this is the episode you shouldn’t miss.
More links about the guest
One book that he would gift to his younger self:
Related episodes to learn more: