“Aren’t you afraid of losing your job?”
I jolted in my seat. I had been asked this out of nowhere.
Had I made a mistake somewhere? Was I doing poorly here?
“W-why do you ask?” I stuttered.
“You know…to AI. The robots are taking over all the jobs in the future.”
And then, my shaking was from laughter instead of fear. They regarded me with slight irritation at this.
“Who do you think has to program the AI to do those jobs?” I smiled.
He went quiet for a moment, and then excused himself. I turned back to my computer to give the AI up on my screen another prompt for a task I needed done.
It certainly wouldn’t do it by itself.
Meet Colin Priest
Colin’s Role as an AI Leader at DataRobot
Colin Priest is the Global Lead of AI Governance at DataRobot. DataRobot is an AI Cloud leader, delivering a unified platform for all users, all data types, and all environments to accelerate delivery of AI to production. It is trusted by global customers across industries and verticals, including a third of the Fortune 50, delivering over a trillion predictions for leading companies globally.
Colin’s Other Work in Leadership and Technology
Colin Priest is a highly analytical and results-oriented professional with extensive experience supporting company long-term revenue, product-led growth, and customer engagement targets by driving the technical development and adoption of new technologies. He is an expert in leading digital transformation and automating legacy processes while removing frictions from the customer experience.
Previously, Colin has taken on the roles of Chief Technology Officer at IntelliM, the Regional Director of General Insurance in Asia at Ageas Insurance Company, the Head of Risk and Pricing at Asia Capital Re, the Chief Technology Officer at Dapsco, the CEO at Sigma Plus Consulting, and the Chief Actuary and National Director Personal Lines at Royal and Sun Alliance.
AI Paranoia, Data Science, and Human-Centric AI
In this exclusive analytics podcast episode, Colin shares:
- What attracted him to continue staying in Singapore
- His advice for anyone interested in moving and working in the Asia region
- How he got into analytics and AI
- His advice for anyone transitioning from being an actuary to working in data science
- Balancing actuarial qualifications and data science
- The two most common misconceptions about AI that he has observed
- Forgetting that there are programmers and computer systems behind AI
- Overcoming AI paranoia and algorithmic aversion
- Giving end users a feeling of control over AI
- What human-centric AI really is
- Product design and software engineering in the data science industry
- An example of when an AI has failed due to a lack of human intervention
- How humans and AI complement one another to achieve the best possible results
- His advice for those looking to implement more human-centric AI into their businesses
If you are an actuary interested in delving into the realm of data science or an analytics leader looking to implement human-centric AI into your business, this is the episode you do not want to miss out on.
Find out more about Colin
What is one book that he would gift to his younger self:
- You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, an d 46 Other Ways You’re Deluding Yourself by David McRaney
In the News:
Learn more with related episodes in our analytics podcast:
- E93 – Christophe Zoghbi – Spreading Accessible AI Education Across the MENA Region
- E91 – Dr Michael Kollo – Explainable AI’s Place in Investment Fund Management and Superannuation
- E53 – Anatoly Tulchinsky – Strategy and Approaches to Drive Better Business Outcomes Using Data & AI
- E11 – Eric Nguyen – Humanising the Robotic Process Automation at Organization and For A Better Customer Experience
Now a word from our sponsor…
This episode is sponsored by a new program at Data Driven Analytics. It’s an embedded analytics leader program for senior managers and executives in the business team who want to integrate AI into daily business operations and drive customer experience excellence. Book an Unlimited Strategy Session for a Full Year and start embedding analytics into the business frontlines. For more information about this program, please refer to it here.